Maple Syrup Substitute
by Peggy Trowbridge Flippone, About.com Guide
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon maple extract or vanilla extract
- Place granulated sugar in a heavy skillet. Heat until the sugar melts and turns brown.
- Meanwhile, place brown sugar into a heavy saucepan. Pour water over brown sugar and bring to a boil without stirring.
- Add caramelized white sugar to the melted brown sugar in the saucepan. Simmer, stirring often, until syrup is thickened.
- Remove from heat, and whisk in butter and maple or vanilla extract.
- Serve maple syrup substitute warm over pancakes, waffles, and biscuits.