You may or may not have noticed, but you haven't really seen any steak on Kacey's Kitchen. It's not that I don't like steak, I do, but I like really, really good steak. And I like my steak medium rare. Anything more than that and it's killed for me. So, because I don't really make steak, I'm terrified to buy $30 worth of meat and overcook it. One day I'll have to get past this, and practice my grilling skills, but I also enjoy steak tartare, and for now, I'll keep my filet mignons raw.
Adapted from The Dog's Breakfast
- 1 pound of highest quality Filet Mignon
- 1 medium shallot, minced (about 2 tbsp.)
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and minced
- the juice of a lime (about 2 tbsp.)
- 1/2 tsp of smoked sweet paprika
- 2 chipolte peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- one egg yolk
- 2 – 3 tablespoons of really great olive oil
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- baguette, sliced for serving
- Salt & Pepper
- Mince the beef as best you can with a good sharp knife. You don’t want to do this in a machine, it grinds the meat and you’ll have the impression you’re eating raw burgers. Go for tiny dice.
- Mix everything else in except the lime juice and give it a chill for 20 minutes.
- Drizzle slices of bread with EVOO and season with salt and pepper. Broil until golden brown.
- Add the lime juice to meat, taste for balance, and serve.