It's typically my job to be the seafood cleaner when needed. I'll take the time ripping off heads, scooping out poop, and separating roe & tomalley out of shrimp, lobsters, or any other sea creature that is needed. I'll even take the time to pick out all of the meat that most people are too impatient for, in between all of the cartilage where the legs connect to the body and the legs themselves. Personally, I think those are the best parts, although they are such tiny pieces of meat.
Using my favorite crab cake recipe as a guide (Phillips), I whipped up these Lobster Cakes. Topped with a spicy avocado and sour cream concoction, these were really good. I look forward to making them again. You will find both recipes below.
by Kacey's Kitchen, adapted from Phillips Foods (Shirley Phillips Crab Cakes)
- 8-10 oz. cooked lobster meat, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- ½ tsp. lemon juice
- 1 ½ tsp. mustard
- 1 ½ tsp. melted butter
- ½ tsp. parsley flakes
- ¼ c. breadcrumbs
- chopped chives for garnish (if desired)
- Preheat oven at 375°F degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except for lobster meat.
- Fold in the lobster. Shape into four patties.
- Line cookie sheet with tinfoil (for easy cleanup), place patties on it, and bake 12-15 minutes or until evenly brown on each side and warmed through.
Creamy & Spicy Avocado Dip
by Kacey's Kitchen
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 2 heaping tbsp sour cream
- 1-2 tsp cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1 roasted red pepper
- juice of 1/2 fresh lime
- In small bowl, smash avocado with fork until smooth
- Dice roasted red pepper.
- Mix all ingredients together and chill.